NEW YORK ( TheStreet) --Blockbuster is trying really hard to woo shoppers.
The movie rental giant, which was recently bought out of bankruptcy by Dish Network (DISH) , sent a message from its new President Michael Kelly to customers on Friday, touting its superiority to rival companies like Netflix (NFLX).
Kelly says the company's DVD rental prices have been reduced by as much as 38%, even as other companies (ehem, Netflix), have raised their prices by as much as 60%.
Blockbuster its attempting to ignite interest in its Total Access service by offering a 30-day free trial to prior Blockbuster shoppers. Those who sign up before Sept. 15 using a promotional link will also receive a discounted rate.Kelly says Blockbuster Total Access will give users many new movies released 28 days before Netflix and Redbox, as well as games and Blu-ray discs at no extra charge (Netflix does not offer games and does charge extra for a Blu-ray membership). The Total Access program sends DVDs and games by mail, allowing users to return discs back to the stores. Dish Network announced earlier in the month that it will leave 1,500 Blockbuster stores open for business. This is yet another attempt by Blockbuster to take advantage of Netflix's recent image beating, after it raised its rates on its popular subscription plans. -- Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV