5. Standard & Poors
Standard and Poors, owned by McGraw Hill (MHP) is in the spotlight as investors await its decision on a possible downgrade to U.S. debt. The rating agency has said that a $4 trillion target long-term deficit reduction plan would be necessary for the U.S. to maintain its debt rating.
Any deal would have to win bipartisan support so as to convince the agency that it won't be undone, sovereign-rating chief John Chambers said in a recent webcast.
But ironically, rating agencies stand to lose in the event of a downgrade, according to this list.Higher interest rates might reduce the volume of fresh debt issuances, which means less demand for the rating services of companies like S&P. Similarly the securitization market is also likely to slow as investors will likely turn skittish over riskier debt following a sovereign downgrade. IBIS World also lists Equifax (EFX) and Experian as other companies that will be negatively affected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV