NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Starbucks (SBUX), Green Mountain Coffee Roasters' (GMCR) and Dunkin' Donuts (DNKN) shares continued to climb on Friday -- even as the overall market waffled amid still-unresolved federal debt ceiling talks -- following a week of blowout earnings and a successful IPO.
Starbucks shares gained 1.3% to $40.50 around midday Friday, Green Mountain added 1.4% to $104.04 and Dunkin' rose 2.4% to $29.08.
On Wednesday, shares of Dunkin' Donuts owner Dunkin' Brands hit the Nasdaq fully caffeinated, surging more than 52% in their first day on the market. Dunkin's IPO was priced at $19 late Tuesday before it began trading Wednesday morning. The company, which was bought by a private-equity consortium including Bain Capital, Carlyle Group and Thomas H. Lee Partners in 2006 for $2.4 billion, sold 22.25 million shares in its market debut to raise around $423 million. Other stocks in the coffee-and-doughnut space were mixed on Friday. Krispy Kreme Donuts (KKD) fell 0.9% to $8.16, Peet's Coffee & Tea (PEET) lost 1.3% to $58.16, Canada's Tim Hortons (THI) shed 0.8% to $47.60 and McDonald's (MCD) was lower by 0.6% to $86.24.
-- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV