As a transportation logistics company, Landstar System (LSTR) is focused on helping its customers move their freight shipments by any means necessary. More often than not, it's through trucking -- over-the-road truck freight provides more than 90% of Landstar's sales. With fuel prices on the rise, Landstar also provides options for clients who need air, sea, or intermodal freight forwarding.
Because Landstar is a third-party logistics firm, the company doesn't actually own any of the infrastructure that moves its clients' freight around the world. Instead, Landstar partners with truck owner operators and outsourced freight shippers who bare the balance sheet risks of an otherwise capital-intensive business. That means that Landstar's costs are generally linearly correlated with its sales - an attractive feature when freight volumes are low.Last week, Landstar announced a 10% increase in its dividend. While the firm's low yield hardly qualifies it as an income name, investors shouldn't ignore the signal a firm throws out when it's willing to part with cash in this unfriendly market. Landstar is one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated transportation infrastructure stocks. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV