The past few years have been a rollercoaster ride for shareholders of Huntington Bancshares (HBAN), last week's biggest dividend increaser. Huntington was among the worst of the regional banks during the recession, the result of an incredibly poorly timed acquisition that ratcheted loan write-offs just as the bottom was falling out of the housing market. The firm slashed dividends, diluted equity and took on TARP funds just to stay afloat during 2008 and 2009.
But today's Huntington is a substantially different firm. The company was able to shore up its capital base during the recession, paying off TARP borrowings late last year, and making steps toward restoring its dividend payouts. While the firm's dividends are still short of their pre-crisis levels, so is the firm's share price. Last week's 300% dividend increase brings Huntington's yield to 2.65% and finally bodes well for shareholders.A revamped (and largely written off) balance sheet means that Huntington is once again able to report net margins that are more in line with peers. Increased lending tolerances should keep the company from repeating history. Huntington shows up on a recent list of 5 Bank Stocks Ready to Rocket.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV