Even if 2011 has proven challenging for stocks, it's still been a strong year for shares of Altera (ALTR). The $13 billion semiconductor company has seen its shares rally more than 14% so far this year. Last week, Altera's management opted to increase that return even more by announcing a 33.3% dividend increase. That move brings Altera's yield to 0.79% at current price levels.
Altera is a leader in the programmable logic device market, a subset of chips that can have its circuitry -- and functions -- reprogrammed by the manufacturer's clients and are purchased by original equipment manufacturers of everything from communications devices to automobile components. Altera is half of the PLD duopoly that currently dominates the market.The abundance of new devices hitting the marketplace is one of the most compelling growth catalysts for Altera right now. High switching costs should guarantee that the firm is able to capture a material chunk of new device contracts as they come available. Solid financial health suggests that the firm's modest dividend is secure for the moment. While this name is far from a core income holding, it should still present a good source of diversification for any dividend portfolio. Altera, one of the top holdings of Renaissance Technologies, was featured recently in " 5 Semiconductor Stocks to Buy Now."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV