5 Successful Senior Care Franchises
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- It used to be that for elderly people who did not have family to care for them, the only option was living in a nursing home once they were unable to live independently.
No longer. Successful franchises are cropping up as entrepreneurs react to a growing demographic: people living longer who are not necessarily ill, but do need help with basic living functions such as cooking, cleaning, taking medication and personal hygiene. The entrepreneurs' work enables senior adults to stay in their homes longer.
The need for senior care services and products (medical and nonmedical) will become even more pressing in years to come. Not only are baby boomers' parents living longer; as they age into their own sunset years, they too will need these services. And this age group has money to spend.
According to census data compiled by Home Instead Senior Care, an estimated 36.8 million people, or 12.4% of the U.S. population, are 65 and older, a figure expected to double by 2026. Those older than 85 are projected to roughly double from 4.7 million in 2003 to 9.6 million in 2030.In-home care is also seen by some as a way to reduce exponentially rising costs associated with health care. Private home care is more cost effective than nursing homes or assisted-living facilities, according to the National Private Duty Association, a trade organization for private medical and nonmedical home care companies. According to data collected by the NPDA:
- The average annual cost of one nursing home resident is $69,715.
- The average annual cost of one assisted-living facility resident is $36,372.
- In contrast, 20 hours a week of home care services costs about $18,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV