The chicken producer said early Friday that costs for feed rose more than $400 million in the first half of the year from year-earlier costs, as rising commodity prices for things like corn and soymeal have surged.
Pilgrim's Pride booked a net loss of $128.1 million, or 60 cents a share, compared with a year-earlier profit of $32.9 million, or 15 cents a share. Analysts had expected the company to lose $48.8 million, or 23 cents a share.Revenue rose 12.3% to a better-than-expected $1.92 billion from $1.71 billion.
"Our second-quarter financial results reflect the significant challenges facing our industry this year from the combination of record-high feed costs, weaker-than-expected consumer demand and an oversupply of chicken," said CEO Bill Lovette. "At this time of year we are usually benefiting from stronger market pricing and increased demand from both foodservice and retail, but to date neither that demand nor pricing has materialized." Pilgrim's Pride also announced early Friday it would close its Dallas processing facility by late September as part of its continuing effort to reduce costs and operate more efficiently. Shares of Pilgrim's Pride were unchanged in premarket trading Friday after the stock closed lower at $4.96 in Thursday's session.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV