Viad Corp (NYSE:VVI) today announced second quarter 2011 net income of $4.5 million, or $0.22 per diluted share. Viad’s income before other items of $5.2 million, or $0.26 per diluted share, excludes restructuring charges of $740,000 after tax. This compares to the company’s prior guidance of income per share of $0.10 to $0.20 and 2010 second quarter income before other items of $0.17 per share.
- Revenues of $238.7 million were up $20.4 million (9.3%) from 2010.
- Segment operating income was $9.9 million as compared to $7.7 million in 2010 (up 27.7%).
- Free cash flow was an outflow of $20.3 million compared to an inflow of $6.3 million in 2010.
- Cash and cash equivalents were $107.3 million at June 30, 2011.
- St. Mary Lodge & Resort was purchased on June 29 for $15.3 million in cash.
- Debt was $4.2 million, with a debt-to-capital ratio of 1.0% at June 30, 2011.
Paul B. Dykstra, chairman, president and chief executive officer, said, “Our results for the second quarter reflect stronger than expected performance from our Marketing & Events Group. U.S. base same-show revenue growth was 5.8 percent, and exhibition and event industry fundamentals continue to improve with modest increases in net square footage. We continue to be successful in capturing additional spend from exhibitors while focusing on high-quality execution and customer service. Our Travel & Recreation Group posted results in line with our prior guidance. Viad’s performance during the first half of 2011 has been strong, providing a foundation for solid earnings growth in 2011.”
|Second Quarter 2011 Business Group Highlights|
|Second Quarter||June 30 Year-to-Date|
|($ in millions)||2011||2010||Change||2011||2010||Change|
|Marketing & Events Group:|
|Travel & Recreation Group||24.0||22.4||1.6||7.0||%||29.7||29.8||(0.1||)||-0.3||%|
|Segment operating income (loss):|
|Marketing & Events Group:|
|Travel & Recreation Group||3.0||3.5||(0.5||)||-13.8||%||(1.5||)||1.1||(2.6||)||**|
|Marketing & Events Group||3.2||%||2.2||%||100||bps||5.7||%||1.7||%||400||bps|
|Travel & Recreation Group||12.6||%||15.6||%||(300||)||bps||-4.9||%||3.7||%||(860||)||bps|
|** Change is greater than +/- 100 percent.|
|Note: Calculated amounts presented above (including totals and percentages) are calculated using dollars in thousands.|
Viad’s Marketing & Events Group
For the second quarter of 2011, Marketing & Events Group’s results exceeded our prior guidance for operating income and were in line with our revenue guidance. Revenues and operating income increased $18.8 million and $2.6 million, respectively, compared to the 2010 quarter, driven primarily by the U.S. segment. Positive show rotation impacted total Group revenues by approximately $6 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV