House Postpones Vote on Debt Ceiling Plan
WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- The House of Representatives postponed late Thursday a vote on a budget proposed by House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) to cut federal spending by nearly $1 trillion and lift the debt ceiling.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) said earlier in the day that if the measure made it to the Senate floor it would have been voted down. President Obama also threatened to veto the House bill.
"The votes obviously were not there," said Rep. David Dreier, R-Calif. on Thursday evening.
If the debt ceiling isn't lifted by Aug. 2, the country risks default on its obligations. Administration officials have warned that interest rates could rise, the job market could tighten and stocks could collapse.Boehner's plan would raise immediately the $14.3 trillion debt ceiling by $900 billion. This would be accompanied by $917 billion in spending cuts. The debt ceiling would then rise $1.6 trillion next year dependent on further cuts. Reid wants to raise the debt ceiling by at least $2.4 trillion, while cutting spending by $2.2 trillion over the next 10 years. The debt ceiling wouldn't have to be raised again until after the 2012 election. "No Democrat will vote for a short-term Band-Aid that would put our economy at risk and put the nation back in this untenable situation a few short months from now," Reid said earlier Thursday. House Republicans and Senate Democrats planned to meet Friday at 10 a.m. EDT to plan strategy, according to reports. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV