NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Gruma SAB (GMK), Cervezas (CCU), Anheuser-Busch (BUD), Concha y Toro Winery (VCO), Panasonic (PC), Unilever (UL) and Sony (SNE) are stocks that could add weight to portfolios in the present uncertain market conditions.
The U.S. debt ceiling concerns have pushed the S&P 500 to one-month lows. The index stocks corrected 3% in the past week on the risk of a default if the debt ceiling is not raised. In this scenario, stocks that are relatively less volatile could balance a portfolio. We have selected companies that seem less volatile and could help cut losses in the event of a further downside. These stocks carry an average monthly beta of 0.74 and have an upside of 28% over the next one year. Besides, they carry a mean buy rating of 52%.
The stocks are stacked by upside, great to greatest.
>> Keep the stock market at your fingertips with TheStreet's iPad app.7. Unilever is a leading fast moving consumer goods company with operations in over 100 countries. Its product range includes personal care, beverage, food and homecare. It holds well-known brands like Dove, Axe, Lux and Lipton in its repertoire. Sales increased 4.3% during the first quarter 2011, boosted by growth across all product categories. The fastest growing geography was emerging markets, increasing 9.9% year-over-year during the quarter. Volume growth for the quarter was 2.5% and pricing was up 1.8%. Financial performance looks respectable during a difficult quarter, in terms of spiking commodity prices and sagging consumer confidence. Unilever's promotion of its extended product range would drive growth in the emerging countries. Analysts predict 14% upside for the stock in the next year and it is trading at 13.5 times its estimated 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV