Apple (AAPL) fans and shareholders alike are still gleaming with pride after last week's earnings report. The company that always exceeds expectations peaked above analyst's highest estimates, and after the first day of profit taking, the stock had a swift resumption of its bullish trend. The Cupertino-based company is firing on all cylinders and maintains a strong buy rating for most investors as the outlook into 2012 remains strong.
Then politicians stepped in. The stock was drug down for a 3% hit after the QQQs broke through their most recent ascending channel on Wednesday and goes to show that even the strongest stocks are vulnerable here. We're one bad headline away from what could be some serious selling and funds know that. I'm not interested in attempting to time a move down, but I do want to look at levels we could step back in on the buy side in AAPL and options strategies that lend themselves to these potential moves. The first clear area we might find buyers would be $383.90. This is logical after the earnings gap but if this level gives way stand back until we get back to $365. By this time I would expect the market to be in bad shape as well. $365 would take us back to the stocks previous high made in January and we could then begin looking for a bounce.
One way to take advantage of panic selling with options is to step in on the sell side of the 380 or 385 puts as we move lower. If these contracts fall quickly they'll have an increase in volatility and selling these options could lead to a nice capture of premium if our first support level holds. You can set stops on these positions just like you would buying an options contract or you could have the stock assigned to you if you're looking to take part in a longer-term move.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV