That's especially important considering that nontraditional pet-product stores are getting into the mix, including: Old Navy (GPS), Paul Mitchell, Omaha Steaks, Harley Davidson (HOG) and Home Depot (HD), the association says.
Mark Van Wye, chief operating officer of Zoom Room, a dog training and agility franchise, says pet entrepreneurs need to be cautious in assuming just any idea will succeed in the pet market.
"You have to look a little bit within the industry to specific areas" including such straightforward services as dog grooming, he says. "As long as you're long offering evergreen services and products, you don't have to worry."
While Zoom Room hosts events such as dog birthday parties, breed meet-up groups and fundraising events, Van Wye says the company caters to "everyday pet owners who want
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV