The latest analyst to reduce his estimates was Sanford Bernstein's John McDonald. McDonald cut his 2011 estimates for the bank to 43 cent per share loss from an 87 cent gain. McDonald's cuts put him near the low end of the range of the 27 analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters. The analysts as a group are looking for a loss of 23 cents per share in 2011, with the most bullish predicting a 16 cent gain, and the biggest bear eyeing a 44 cent loss.
It seems likely, however, that many analysts still have yet to lower their estimates, since McDonald has been a Bank of America bull for quite some time. McDonald has had an "outperform" rating on Bank of America since at least Oct. 2, 2009, according to data from Bloomberg, though his target price has dropped steadily from 25, on that date, to its present level of 13. Despite his latest downward revision, McDonald made no change to his "outperform" recommendation or his $13 target price.Bank of America's earnings, announced Tuesday of last week, had largely been preannounced by the bank June 29. Nonetheless, the bank's shares sold off further after the earnings release but then rebounded later in the week, along with shares of other large banks such as Wells Fargo (WFC), Citigroup (C) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV