MISSISSAUGA, Ontario, Canada (TheStreet) -- Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX) approached Swedish specialty drug maker Meda AB about a takeover, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
A deal could be worth more than $4 billion. Meda, which trades in Stockholm, has a market value of about $3.4 billion.
Valeant made the approach within the past two weeks, the Journal said. The people warned the deal may not happen. Valeant's last try at a big deal, a hostile takeover of Cephalon (CEPH) in March, failed.
Meda makes respiratory, cardiology, dermatology and pain and inflammation drugs, and has a business similar to Valeant's, according to the Journal.-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV