BJK has enjoyed some solid strength over the past week following an impressive earnings showing from the fund's second largest holding, Wynn Resorts (WYNN).
According to the company's report, Wynn witnessed double-digit revenue growth at both its Las Vegas- and Macau-based establishments over the most recent three-month period. The bar has been set high and it will be interesting to see how BJK performs in the days following the earnings reports from fellow top components, Las Vegas Sands (LVS) and International Gaming Technology (IGT).
BJK has managed to outpace other consumer-focused products over the past 30 days. However, it is important to note that, due to the pinhole focus of this fund, it is inherently volatile. Therefore, any exposure must be kept small, and closely monitored.
The SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT) has long been my go-to product when it comes to finding ways to benefit as the consumer flexes its muscles. Designed to track the industry as a whole, this fund boasts exposure to retailers in industries such as apparel, the Internet, automotive, and food.Of the three funds highlighted above, XRT is likely the most appealing towards long term, buy-and-hold investors. The resilience and strength of the consumer in the face of adversity bodes well for its prospects when the fog of uncertainty eventually clears and the market recovery gets itself back on track. It may be tempting to steer clear of the markets at this time, but I encourage investors to keep funds like PEJ, BJK, and XRT on the watch list. Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV