London-based publishing company Reed Elsevier (RUK) is one of the world's biggest providers of information for medical, scientific and financial professionals. With shares of the company forming an outwardly bullish pattern, this $18 billion ADR could be due for a significant breakout. Here's how to trade it.
Right now, shares of Reed Elsevier are forming a bullish ascending triangle setup, a formation that's marked by horizontal resistance above current price levels and uptrending support below. As share prices get squeezed in between those two technically relevant levels, the potential for a breakout above that horizontal "price ceiling" increases significantly.
Don't pay too much attention to the "gappy" appearance of Reed Elsevier's chart. Those gaps, known as suspension gaps, are the result of the stock's trading on the London Stock Exchange outside of U.S. trading hours. They can be ignored from a technical standpoint. Instead, traders should be watching for a breakout above the $37 price level in RUK. Once shares materially surpass that price, it becomes a high-probability buy.Reed Elsevier is one of the highest-yielding media stocks. >> Get your technical analysis on the go with TheStreet's iPad app.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV