BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Investors are still anxious right now -- and for good reason.
With the debt ceiling debate still far from settled, the added uncertainty in the markets makes sitting on the sidelines a safer choice for risk-averse investors. One of the side effects of that is the lack of buying that I talked about briefly last week.
That investor ennui won't last forever; it's going to be difficult for market participants to outright ignore another quarter of strong earnings this year, given that the broad market continued to lurch sideways after last quarter's strong numbers.
Ultimately, it seems likely that buying pressures will take hold once some sort of debt ceiling resolution exists. In the mean time, there are still pockets of strength in stocks right now. The key to finding short-term buying opportunities is technical analysis.Related: 5 Rocket Stocks to Buy This Week Remember, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. Here's a look at this week's setups.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV