Prashant Bhatia, dealmaker for E*Trade's most likely merger partner TD Ameritrade (AMTD) -- is a former Citigroup (C) analyst that began questioning E*Trade's balance sheet and initiated years of turmoil for the company.
The online broker's shares plummeted in November 2007 after Bhatia, then an analyst at Citi, argued that E*Trade's mortgage-related investments could trigger a bank run, The New York Times reported at the time.Even after E*Trade secured a $2.55 billion investment from Chicago hedge fund giant Citadel, Bhatia maintained his sell rating on E*Trade shares. Flash forward to last week, when an exasperated Citadel, now E*Trade's largest shareholder, wrote a stinging letter to the online broker's board of directors, urging a sale of the company. That letter revived longtime speculation that TD Ameritrade would snap up its troubled rival. TD Ameritrade has publicly expressed an interest in a possible deal for E*Trade, and, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal, will discuss the matter at a board meeting on Tuesday. Thanks in part to Bhatia's bearish analysis, Ameritrade ought to be able to demand a low price. So it is perhaps only fitting that Bhatia has joined Ameritrade as its chief dealmaker. According to an Ameritrade spokeswoman, Bhatia is now in charge of business development at Ameritrade, having joined the company in March 2009. In that role, he leads a team that will provide a detailed analysis to Ameritrade CFO Bill Gerber about whether Ameritrade should acquire the company Bhatia helped trash as an analyst. The Ameritade spokeswoman said Bhatia wasn't available for an interview, and she declined to comment on the situation. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV