5. United States Steel (X) is an integrated steel producer of flat-rolled and tubular products with major production operations in North America and Europe. The company operates in four business segments: flat-rolled products, U. S. Steel Europe, tubular products and other businesses such as transportation services and real estate activities. The stock accumulated 4.2% last week.
The company is scheduled to release its second quarter 2011 results on July 26, 2011. Analysts expect the company to reverse the trend of nine consecutive quarterly losses and post its first profit. Higher pricing, offsetting raw material costs, and improved demand are likely to drive profit.
As per the American Iron and Steel Institute, U.S. steel production increased 1.7% to 1.88 million tons last week to reach 33-month highs as steel mills operated at an average capacity utilization rate of 76.8%. Additionally, the government reports that exports increased 11.4% year-over-year to 1.14 million tons in May 2011, led by significant improvement in the NAFTA region.Of the 17 analysts covering the stock, 47% suggest a buy while 41% recommend a hold. On average, analysts estimate 21.1% upside to $54.27 in value from current levels. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 5 Winners in Metal and Mining Stocks portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV