NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Mining stocks Walter Energy (WLT), James River Coal (JRCC) and Cloud Peak Energy (CLD) outperformed the S&P 500 Metals and Mining Index last week gaining 4% to 19%, compared to the latter's 2.2% increase. These stocks closed on a positive note last week, based on strong industry fundamentals and company developments.
At the close, gold and silver prices fell 0.2% and 1.1% respectively. Reversing its prior week's winning streak, Brigus Gold (BRD) headed the pack of losers, down 5.9%. Gold producer Golden Star Resources (GSS) followed with a 5% decline. Silver producers Stillwater Mining (SWC) and Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM) shed 3.2% and 2.6%, respectively.
Below, the stocks are ordered in terms of one-week returns, highest to lowest.
1. Walter Energy (WLT), a producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry, also engages in the production of steam coal, coal bed methane gas (natural gas), metallurgical coke and other related products. The company operates in three segments: underground mining, surface mining and Walter Coke. The stock gained 18.7% last week. During the course of last week amid discussion regarding putting the company up for sale. A Citi analyst initiated coverage on the stock with a buy rating and price target of $144. Even though shareholders lost hugely in recent months, they could benefit from a $4 billion windfall if the coal producer is acquired. Audley Capital Advisors believes that the company would obtain almost $192 per share, or 60% premium on $120 per share. Analysts believe Walter is a superior quality and that with metallurgical coal demand at record highs, it will attract good buyers. Of the 18 analysts covering the stock, 72% recommend a buy while the remaining rate a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. On average, analysts estimate 18.0% upside to $155.42 in value from current levels. >> Get your financial news on the go with TheStreet's iPad app.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV