NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Mining stocks Walter Energy (WLT), James River Coal (JRCC) and Cloud Peak Energy (CLD) outperformed the S&P 500 Metals and Mining Index last week gaining 4% to 19%, compared to the latter's 2.2% increase. These stocks closed on a positive note last week, based on strong industry fundamentals and company developments.
At the close, gold and silver prices fell 0.2% and 1.1% respectively. Reversing its prior week's winning streak, Brigus Gold (BRD) headed the pack of losers, down 5.9%. Gold producer Golden Star Resources (GSS) followed with a 5% decline. Silver producers Stillwater Mining (SWC) and Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM) shed 3.2% and 2.6%, respectively.
Below, the stocks are ordered in terms of one-week returns, highest to lowest.
1. Walter Energy (WLT), a producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry, also engages in the production of steam coal, coal bed methane gas (natural gas), metallurgical coke and other related products. The company operates in three segments: underground mining, surface mining and Walter Coke. The stock gained 18.7% last week. During the course of last week amid discussion regarding putting the company up for sale. A Citi analyst initiated coverage on the stock with a buy rating and price target of $144. Even though shareholders lost hugely in recent months, they could benefit from a $4 billion windfall if the coal producer is acquired. Audley Capital Advisors believes that the company would obtain almost $192 per share, or 60% premium on $120 per share. Analysts believe Walter is a superior quality and that with metallurgical coal demand at record highs, it will attract good buyers. Of the 18 analysts covering the stock, 72% recommend a buy while the remaining rate a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. On average, analysts estimate 18.0% upside to $155.42 in value from current levels. >> Get your financial news on the go with TheStreet's iPad app.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV