Kimberly-Clark, the maker of a wide range of consumer products including Huggies diapers, Scott paper towels and Kleenex tissues, said quarterly earnings came to $408 million, or $1.03 a share, down from $498, or $1.20 a share, earned in the year-earlier period. Excluding restructuring charges, the company's profit came to $1.18 a share. By that measure, results topped analysts' expectations for EPS of $1.14. Analysts typically exclude one-time items when forecasting earnings estimates.
Total revenue grew 8.3% to $5.26 billion, also higher than expected, and the company raised its full-year sales outlook again, though investors were more concerned with Kimberly-Clark's word that its 2011 profit would likely be in the lower half of its previously announced range. Kimberly-Clark shares were 1% lower in premarket trading Monday, after closing 0.1% higher at $67.90 in Friday's session.
The Dallas company did raise its full-year revenue guidance for the second time, saying it expects growth of 5% to 7%, up from its prior forecast of 4% to 6%. That would come to a range of $20.74 billion to $21.13 billion. Analysts were expecting Kimberly-Clark to post 2011 revenue of $20.74. "We are gaining market share in a number of businesses and are launching additional product innovations to further improve our brands," said CEO Thomas J. Falk. "Although adjusted earnings per share were down slightly in the second quarter versus last year, we delivered sequential improvement in most key metrics." --Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
>>See our new stock quote page.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV