10 Products With Big Markups
Sold in small but luxurious containers, perfume and cologne cost a lot more than the sum of their sweet-smelling oils.
Having as many as 100 ingredients in a fragrance is not unusual, but in many cases the recipe isn't why you'll pay 50% to 60% more than what it costs to make.
Blame Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Usher, or any of the famous faces who lend their star power to a fragrance line. Their involvement isn't necessarily the cost driver, but they are symptomatic of why prices are not lower: Buying a designer scent is indulging in a luxury and buying an "image" as much as a product.When an item is already an indulgence, manufacturers and retailers alike have a lot more leeway when it comes to price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV