10 Products With Big Markups
Coffee and tea
In most cities, the lines at any given Starbucks (SBUX), Peet's Coffee & Tea (PEET) or Dunkin' Donuts run deep nearly all day. American's love coffee and adore tea so much that they are willing to pay.
A 100-count box of Lipton Tea can be had for about $5.99, roughly 6 cents a serving. Nevertheless, coffee shops and restaurants charge anywhere from $1 to $3 a cup hot or cold, and even more for specialty brands or herbal varieties.
Coffee prices can fluctuate due to the volatile commodities marketplace (coffee futures hit a three-decade high of more than $3 per pound in May). But a decent cup of java will still only cost about 50 cents to make at home, while the average Starbucks, Peet's or Dunkin' Donuts pours you a $2 to $5 serving, depending on size, blend and add-ons.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV