EA to Fight Activision With New Titles
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- As Electronic Arts (ERTS) prepares to report its first-quarter earnings Tuesday afternoon, investors will be looking to gain insight into two of the video game publisher's biggest titles ever, Battlefield 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic, which are poised to take on entrenched games from rival Activision (ATVI).
While these titles mark a departure from EA's recent, aggressive push into social, casual and mobile gaming -- including its $750 million acquisition of PopCap Games -- they're a significant part of the company's strategy to create fewer, bigger titles that incorporate digital components.
"The biggest elements that matter right now are Star Wars and Battlefield 3," said Eric Handler, an analyst with MKM Partners. "It's a matter of just waiting on execution."The huge titles are also an opportunity for EA to grab market share from Activision. Battlefield 3, a first-person shooting video game, is being positioned as a competitor to Activision's wildly popular Call of Duty franchise. Activision's most recent title in the series, Black Ops, generated more than $1 billion in sales only a month after its release, becoming the best-selling video game ever in the U.S. Its newest edition, Modern Warfare 3, will hit stores in November, several weeks after the release of EA's Battlefield 3. "
|Star Wars: The Old Republic is expected to be released this holiday season.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV