Retail pharmacy giant Walgreen (WAG) weighs in as the largest pharmacy chain in the U.S., a title that's been less than impressive in the last few years. Pharmacy retailers have seen their market share squeezed by added healthcare regulations as well as increased competition from big-box stores and mail-order operations. But a shifting business could ultimately turn the tide for Walgreen and its peers.
Walgreen has been expanding the scope of its stores in recent years, adding in-store medical clinics to its repertoire of products and services. Walgreen isn't alone in that new offering, but it may be best suited to execute it successfully. The chain's 7,700 stores sport a geographic footprint that big-box competitors simply can't match.Last week, the company declared a 28.6% dividend increase that brings its quarterly payout to 22.5 cents per share. That gives Walgreen a competitive 2.27% dividend yield at current price levels. Walgreen is one of the 2011 Dividend Aristocrats, having raised its dividend for at least 25 consecutive years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV