BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Contrary to popular belief, earnings season isn't just a crucial time for investors seeking capital gains -- it's also make-or-break time for income investors.
Even if dividend actions don't spur the same kinds of big-percentage moves that can be found in an earnings surprise stock, they can provide some material gains to their shareholders in the form of cold, hard cash. And dividend announcements generally tend to be grouped around a company's earnings calls.
Related: 5 Big Stocks to Trade for Gains
With stocks starting to take on a more bullish tone this week, now could be a good time to pick up shares of companies that are actively paying out dividends and increasing their yields. Don't think for a second that buying dividend stocks means that you'll have to forego capital gains in 2011. In fact, statistics that we mention each week show that the exact opposite is true:Instead of being mutually exclusive, dividends and capital gains actually go hand in hand. Over the last 36 years, dividend stocks outperformed the rest of the S&P 500 by 2.5% annually, and they outperformed nonpayers by nearly 8% every year, all while paying out cash to their shareholders, according to a study from NDR. The numbers are even more compelling when looking at companies that consistently increase their payouts. That's why, each week, we take a look at the stocks that declared dividend increases the previous week. Here's a look at some of several stocks from our list of recent dividend-increasers, plus one other dividend payer worth taking a second look at.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV