How to Challenge Your Property Taxes
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Home prices continue to slide, which is bad news for any homeowner thinking of selling. But even those who are settled into their houses for the long haul have another potential concern: Property taxes are often based on an outdated assessment that is higher than the true value of your home.
The good news is that you can challenge that assessment if you think the tax assessor is a little too bullish on your home's value. And more often than not, you'll be successful.
|Data suggest that those who challenge their property tax assessment have a high rate of success.|
A survey just released by FindLaw.com found that one in four homeowners have challenged their property tax bills at some point. And in about three out of four of these cases, they've been successful in lowering their bill to the tune of 1% to 4%.
Of course, a property tax bill isn't like a parking ticket -- you can't just show up in court and hope the cop who pulled you over gets stuck in traffic."A challenge needs to be presented with a well-researched and well-organized set of facts," explains FindLaw's Stephanie Rahifs, an attorney. "In addition, the formulas for calculating property taxes and the procedures for appeals can vary widely depending on the county and state." Because of those varying standards and procedures, it's impossible to give a simple guide to challenging your tax bill. But there are some basic guidelines, says Ted Beck, president and CEO of the National Endowment for Financial Education. "You need to understand on what time period they're basing the assessment; it has a lag to it, so the market could have been stronger then," he says. "If the assessment looks like it's an automatic increase, get the information
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV