McDonald's earned $1.41 billion, or $1.35 a share, up 14.6% from year-earlier profit of $1.23 billion, or $1.13 a share.
Revenue jumped 16.1% to $6.91 billion from $5.95 billion.
Top- and bottom-line results beat Wall Street estimates. Analysts had expected McDonald's to earn $1.34 billion, or $1.28 a share, on revenue of $6.65 billion.
McDonald's also returned $1.4 billion to shareholders in the quarter through repurchases and dividend payments. Shares of McDonald's jumped 2.8% in premarket trading Friday after closing 0.3% higher at $86.54 in Thursday's session. Yum! Brands (YUM), the operator of KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, beat Wall Street expectations for its second-quarter results last week on strong sales growth in China.
--Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
>>See our new stock quote page.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV