The Lost and Found of Missing Money
On the street
If you ever stumble across a $5 bill and take it from the sidewalk -- perhaps after a shuffle of the shoe to move it inconspicuously away from onlookers -- you may have broken the law.
Many cities and states (among them California) have laws requiring that all found property be reported to police and a reasonable effort put into finding the unlucky owner. The laws typically don't define a value so, technically, even a quarter dropped by the gumball machine would warrant a trip to the station.
If you kick a can littering your path, be aware that whoever failed to recycle might as well have tossed their money on the sidewalk. A nickel here and there may not seem like much, but it adds up when thousands of people in bottle bill states avoid bringing their empties back to the store or a redemption center.In Massachusetts -- a state looking to extend its 5-cent deposit to bottled water and tea drinks -- the new fiscal year includes $20 million in revenue collected from unreturned bottles. New York, by comparison, nets more than $100 a year from unredeemed containers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV