The Lost and Found of Missing Money
It was announced earlier this month by the Treasury Department that as of Jan. 1, paper savings bonds will no longer be sold.
It is estimated that ending the sales of paper payroll and new issues of OTC bonds will save $120 million over the next five years in areas such as printing, mailing, storing bond stock and fees paid to financial institutions for processing bond applications. Savings Bonds can be bought online at the TreasuryDirect site. Paper savings bonds can still be bought using part, or all, of a tax refund.
Even with paper bonds as the norm, however, investors have proven very forgetful when it comes to redeeming these notes once they reach maturity.According to the U.S. Treasury, each year 25,000 payments are returned to the Department of the Treasury as undeliverable and "billions of dollars in savings bonds have stopped earning interest, but haven't been cashed." That total is estimated at more than $16 billion. In response, the site Treasury Hunt was created for investors to track savings bonds that are no longer earning interest, encouraging them to cash or reinvest them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV