Our goal in this profile is to help investors wade through the many competing ETF offerings available. Using our long experience as an ETF publication, and nearly 40 years in the investment business, we can help select those ETFs that matter and may or may not be repetitive. The result is a more manageable list of issues from which to view and make selections.
There is currently an expanding list of 20 ETFs oriented to the industrial sector with more on the way. The following analysis features a fair representation of ETFs available. We believe from these investors may choose an appropriate ETF to satisfy the best index-based offerings individuals and financial advisors may utilize.
We're not ranking these ETFs favoring one over another so don't let the listing order mislead you. Although we may use some of these in ETF Digest portfolios it's not our intention to recommend one over another.
Where competitive issues exist and/or repetitive issues available at a fee cost saving we mention those as other choices. New issues are coming to market consistently (especially globally) and sometimes these issues will need to become more seasoned before they may be included at least in our listings.
For traders and investors wishing to hedge, leveraged and inverse issues are available to utilize from ProShares and Direxion, and where available these are noted. XLI (SPDR Industrials ETF) follows the Industrial Select Sector Index that contains constituents from a wide variety of U.S. manufacturers. The fund was launched in December 1998. The expense ratio is .20%. AUM (Assets under Management) is $3.7 billion and average daily trading volume is over 18M shares. As of mid July 2011, the annual dividend was $.63 making the current yield roughly 1.7% and an YTD return of 4.80%. An alternative issue FIL (Focus Morningstar Industrials ETF) was recently launched by FocusShares and Scottrade. It is too new to rate for now but clearly the fees are low and commission free trading is available for Scottrade customers. Both ProShares and Direxion Shares maintain leveraged long and short ETFs for hedging or speculation needs.
Data as of July 2011
XLI Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- General Electric Co (GE): 10.39%
- United Technologies Corp (UTX): 5.91%
- United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS): 5.14%
- Caterpillar Inc. (CAT): 5.13%
- 3M Company (MMM): 4.85%
- Boeing Company (BA): 4.00%
- Union Pacific Corp (UNP): 3.91%
- Honeywell International, Inc. (HON): 3.47%
- Emerson Electric Co. (EMR): 3.14%
- Deere & Co (DE): 2.71%
Data as of July 2011
VIS Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- General Electric Company (GE): 12.22%
- United Technologies Corp (UTX): 4.25%
- Caterpillar Inc. (CAT): 4.04%
- 3M Company (MMM): 3.63%
- United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS): 3.10%
- Boeing Company (BA): 2.95%
- Union Pacific Corporation (UNP): 2.77%
- Honeywell International, Inc. (HON): 2.53%
- Emerson Electric Co. (EMR): 2.52%
- Deere & Company (DE): 2.35%
Data as of July 2011
IYJ Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- General Electric Co (GE): 10.85%
- United Technologies Corp (UTX): 3.82%
- 3M Company (MMM): 3.34%
- Caterpillar Inc. (CAT): 3.32%
- United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS): 2.87%
- Union Pacific Corp (UNP): 2.76%
- Boeing Company (BA): 2.60%
- Honeywell International, Inc. (HON): 2.29%
- Emerson Electric Co. (EMR): 2.29%
- Accenture PLC (ACN): 2.09%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV