10 Ways to Boost Your Retirement by $50K
10. Use the catch-up provision
If the desire to improve your retirement plan comes later in life, you are not out of luck.
Folks over the age of 50 can take advantage of a catch-up provision the IRS allows. In addition to this year's contribution cap of $16,500, they can also arrange to have up to an additional $5,500 added to their account via savings or deferrals.
With 10 to 20 years of work still ahead for most, these additional savings will increase your retirement plan by the sought-after $50,000 long before it is time to start drawing down the assets.-- Written by Joe Mont in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joe Mont. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/josephmont. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV