Government Hiring Freeze Plagues Job Market
Making the forecast for federal employment even darker is the fact that the government is outsourcing work to the private sector. There are roughly 10 million private contractors currently under contract with the federal government doing work that could be done by federal employees if they were able to hire more people. Ten million is more than five times the number of actual federal employees.
The news for college graduates is even more unwelcoming: The government expects to fill 10% fewer posts this year than last and one-third of government employers expect to cut plans to hire recent college graduates.
Perhaps it's time to go back to the private sector. Sure they cut some benefits, tagged some additional hours on to your work week, and pushed more healthcare costs back to you. But hey, at least they're still hiring.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV