Zillow shares were recently trading $38.91, up $18.91, or 95% above the $20 initial public offering price. But shares were bid all the way up to $60 at the open before settling down some.
Seattle-based Zillow is the third most popular real estate Web site in the U.S., and the shares were
Zillow's stated mission "is to empower consumers with information and tools to make smart decisions about homes, real estate and mortgages."Zillow's earnings come from real estate and mortgage professionals as well as advertising. The company sells subscriptions to agents and has recently begun an agent review and rating tool. Zillow is also recognizing revenue from its strategic partnership with Yahoo!'s (YHOO) real estate Web site. Zillow provides the real estate listings for the Yahoo! site and expects to see increases in marketplace revenues as a result of the partnership. Revenue should grow from increases in Web site traffic, which has risen sharply since the company's launch in 2008. For the past three Decembers, monthly unique views have increased 48% in 2008, 38% in 2009 and 66% in 2010. The company said its name "evolved from the desire to make zillions of data points for homes accessible to everyone. And, since a home is about more than just data - it is where you lay your head to rest at night, like a pillow -- "Zillow" was born." -- Written by Joe Deaux and Debra Borchardt in New York.
>To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV