10 Most Walkable Cities of 2011
7. Washington, D.C.
Walk Score: 73.2
If D.C. residents managed to score a place in Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Downtown, Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon Square or the U Street Corridor, just about everything they could ask for is within walking distance.
The neighborhoods get a big assist from D.C.'s Metro, which handled 409 million riders on its buses and subways last year and takes a lot of the traffic and tourists off the road to Reagan International by bringing them there directly. The city's park space and long streets and blocks meant to draw people into its center make it pedestrian-friendly by design, even if the original blueprints didn't call for high-speed vehicles and intersections that require good sneakers, stamina and a sense of one's mortality.
That's great for Georgetown, Friendship Heights and Chevy Chase residents, whose neighborhoods are kind to the car free, but 20% of the city still needs a car to get around and there are tourists who've been trapped in the city's maze of roads since Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear. Convenience is all a matter of perspective, if not ZIP code.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV