10 Most Walkable Cities of 2011
Walk Score: 72.5
Miami's boost in census numbers got it onto the list, but it's learning the lesson of all walkable cities by the water: Access shouldn't just be restricted to the coast.
This isn't the Miami that comes to mind for most Americans picturing long stretches of sandy beaches, South Beach partying and art deco hotels. That's in Miami Beach, which is a city and island unto itself. Miami proper is just across Biscayne Bay and keeps most of its walkable neighborhoods, including Downtown, Brickell and Little Havana, along the coast.
Though more walkable on average than most cities -- only 1% live in car-dependent neighborhoods -- even the highest-rated neighborhoods are less densely packed than those at the top of Minneapolis' list and don't really touch much of the country's high-density neighborhoods. Granted, the weather's a lot nicer here than most of those other destinations and allows people to actually walk the city for much of the year.Even when Miami's not walking, its subway systems, bus system that functions like light rail along the Miami-Dade busway and free elevated Metromover that serves Downtown, Brickell, Park West and Omni all provide great access to the city. Though derided by some (including famous Florida humorist Dave Barry) as useless, Miami-Dade Transit agency took on more than 98 million riders last year, with more than 70 million taking the buses, 17 million taking the train and more than 8 million taking advantage of the free people mover.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV