10 Most Walkable Cities of 2011
10. Oakland, Calif.
Walk Score: 68.2
The Census finally put Oakland in the most walkable city conversation with San Francisco, but their shared amenities will likely keep them there.
Oakland has a fairly high concentration of walkable neighborhoods for a city this low on the list. Its Downtown, Civic Center, Chinatown, Lakewide, Old City, San Pablo Gateway, Piedmont Avenue, Waverly, Fairview Park and Northgate neighborhoods all rank among the top 10% in the country. Areas between Piedmont and Alameda and next to Berkeley are some of the most dense and amenity-filled in the city.
The Bay Area Rapid Transit system only helps by moving 100 million riders through the area each year, while commuter rail helps out another 1.6 million. The only problem is that those services and amenities in general tend to dissipate as you move to the eastern- and southernmost points of the city, where much of the 11% of the population that needs a car to access everyday items resides.Still, in a town often overshadowed by neighboring San Francisco and Berkeley when it comes to transportation and quality of life, these rankings are a well-deserved boost for neighborhoods giving residents many of the neighbors' amenities with none of the accolades.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV