Unionized RNs From Northeast Reach Tentative Agreement As Management Announces Affiliation With Lahey
Includes Successor Language, Layoff Protections
BEVERLY and GLOUCESTER, Mass., July 19, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Just days before the hospital system announced its pending affiliation with Burlington-based Lahey Clinic, the RNs at Northeast Health Corporation—who are unionized with the Massachusetts Nurses Association—reached a tentative agreement with management. The two-year agreement, which was finalized on July 13, put an end to more than eight months worth of negotiations and several hot-button issues that had led the nurses to picket this past June.
"We are happy to have had the opportunity to work so collaboratively with management on the final details of this tentative agreement," said Marie Freeman, RN and co-chairperson of the nurses' MNA bargaining unit. "Our joint commitment to finding fair solutions to some complicated proposals truly paid off and we settled on solutions that will benefit and protect patients, nurses and management."Some of the key issues settled during last week's final negotiation include:
- Successor Language: Once ratified, the contract will include best-in-class language that guarantees the new owner/affiliate recognizes and honors the nurses' contract and all of the provisions it includes. As a result, the nurses at NHC can be assured that their contract, rights and benefits will remain 100 percent in effect throughout the Lahey affiliation process, as well as after the affiliation is complete.
- Expanded protections specific to layoffs: Once ratified, the contract will include greatly improved "reduction in force" language that details when/how nurses can move into other positions, thereby guaranteeing the unit's most senior RNs a level of choice and protection that is standard in the labor sector. Nurses will also be guaranteed six weeks of severance pay.
- Pensions: RNs age 62 years and older can continue with their existing pension plans without any changes, and nurses younger than 62 can choose between two plans.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV