Despite the summer of Android that sees the Google (GOOG)-based operating system capturing record numbers of smartphone users' hearts, Apple reported blowout third-quarter numbers Tuesday afternoon, which were boosted by an unexpected surge in iPhone sales.
For the quarter, Apple reported adjusted earnings per share of $7.79 on sales of $28.57 billion, compared to the per-share profit of $5.85 on sales of roughly $25 billion that analysts were expecting. That's up from earnings of $3.51 a share on revenue of $15.70 billion in the year-ago period.Both iPad and iPhone sales topped estimates, with the consumer tech giant reporting unit sales of 9.3 million iPads, above analyst estimates of 8 million tablets. And despite the expected slowdown in iPhone sales because of the company's delay in a next-generation device, Apple posted sales of 20.3 million iPhones, surpassing expectations of 17 million. Apple shares surged in after-hours trading, rising more than 4% to $393.63 when the company's earnings call ended. Volume topped 4.7 million in the extended session with the stock running as high as $405, according to Nasdaq.com. Click above to read the recap of TheStreet's live blog of the giant's earnings. --Blog written by Scott Moritz and James Rogers in New York.
Follow the writers on Twitter at TheStreet_Tech
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV