Despite the recent selling in stocks, 2011 has been a strong year for shares of French pharmaceutical firm Sanofi (SNY). Shares of the $100 billion firm have climbed more than 19% since the first trading day of January -- and it looks like they could have further to run.
That's because shares of Sanofi are forming an inverse head-and-shoulder setup, a well-known pattern that indicates exhaustion among sellers. On a head-and-shoulder (either inverse or regular), the breakout signal comes when shares punch through the pattern's neckline. At that point, the balance between supply and demand for shares of Sanofi favors buyers.
Don't put too much emphasis on the numerous gaps in Sanofi's price action. These gaps, known as suspension gaps, occur because this stock trades in Europe outside of normal trading hours here in the U.S. They're not relevant to the setup -- only the neckline is.Sanofi, on of the highest-yielding drug stocks, shows up in the portfolio of Warren Buffett as of the most recently reported period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV