First up this week is aluminum producer Alcoa (AA), coincidentally the first company that reports earnings each quarter. Even though Alcoa reported substantially larger second-quarter profits last Monday, shares have fallen more than 7% in the days since. But investors shouldn't jump ship just yet.
That's thanks to a falling wedge in shares of this metal stock. While a falling wedge looks bearish at first glance, the key to this setup is the fact that it has converging trend lines -- convergence indicates that selling pressures are waning. Statistically, the wedge is a highly predictive pattern, correctly determining directional bias in shares nearly 90% of the time in studies.
For the Alcoa trade to take effect, we'll need to see shares definitively break above that upper blue trend line. It's crucial not to get in early on this trade. Because the pattern is downtrending, shares could conceivably fall much further before sending the "buy" signal. Once the breakout happens, this becomes a high-probability trade.Alcoa was featured recently in "5 Mining Stock Hit Paydirt" and "5 Materials Stocks for a Growing Economy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV