MINNEAPOLIS (TheStreet) -- UnitedHealth (UNH) said Tuesday it earned $1.27 billion, or $1.16 a share, in the second quarter, topping analysts' expectations, as revenue grew at both its UnitedHealthcare and Optum businesses. The managed care company also raised its outlook for 2011.
UnitedHealth earned $1.12 billion, or 99 cents a share, a year earlier.
Revenue in the quarter rose to $25.23 billion from $23.26 billion a year earlier.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected UnitedHealth to earn 94 cents a share on revenue of $25.24 billion in the quarter.UnitedHealth updated its outlook and said Tuesday it now expects earnings of $4.15 to $4.25 a share on revenue of $101 billion. Analysts forecast earnings of $4.19 a share on revenue of $101.5 billion. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV