NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- News Corp. (NWSA) is considering promoting Chief Operating Officer Chase Carey as CEO to succeed Rupert Murdoch, Bloomberg reported, citing people with knowledge of the situation.
Independent directors on Monday weighed naming Carey as CEO, according to a person close to the board, Bloomberg said. The independent directors, who didn't make a decision, discussed whether the stock market and investors would react favorably to a change, the person said.
Murdoch, who has the board's support, would remain chairman, the people told Bloomberg.
A decision on elevating Carey hasn't been made and a move depends in part on Murdoch's performance before the U.K. Parliament Tuesday, said the people. Murdoch, his son James, and Rebekah Brooks, News Corp.'s former top publishing executive in the U.K., are scheduled Tuesday to discuss the company's role in the phone-hacking scandal that led to the closure of tabloid News of the World , and to News Corp. abandoning its bid for British Sky Broadcasting (BSY).-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV