Borders Will Begin Liquidating This Week
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Borders will begin liquidating on Friday.
This comes after the deadline for the company to receive buyout offers came and went Sunday with no bids.
Borders will ask the bankruptcy judge to approve the liquidation on Thursday.
The bankrupt bookseller will sell itself to liquidators Hilco and Gordon Brothers and shutter its remaining 399 stores. This will result in about 10,700 layoffs."Following the best efforts of all parties, we are saddened by this development," said Borders Group President Mike Edwards in a statement. "The headwinds we have been facing for quite some time, including the rapidly changing book industry, eReader revolution, and turbulent economy, have brought us to where we are now." -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV