NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Welcome to Don Dion's "Daily ETF Winners and Losers." Be sure to stop by each day to find out which ETFs are gaining or losing.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures ETN (VXX) 3.0%
Volatility-linked exchange traded products like VXX are benefiting from sweeping market uncertainty.
VXX has had an impressive start to the second half of 2011. In the opening weeks of July, the product has witnessed losses on only two trading days. Despite this action, I urge conservative investors to stick to the sidelines. The fund has a history of swinging wildly and, in the event that tensions ease, it could see a quick reversal.iShares Silver Trust (SLV) 2.7% Silver prices are heading higher, following up last week's strength with another burst of upward action. Precious metals including silver and gold will likely stay in focus this week as global economic troubles drive investors into market safe havens. On Monday, gold ascended to new record highs, breaking through the $1,600 per ounce level. The Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) is another big mover. This equity-backed fund appears to be on the verge of revisiting the levels witnessed prior to its early-May sell off. ProShares UltraShort 20+ Year Treasury Bond ETF (TBT) 1.7% Despite the market's downward action, investors are showing hesitation towards long-term U.S. Treasuries. The iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLT) is off by nearly 1% during early afternoon trading. This weak action bodes well for TBT, which is once again testing its 50-day moving average. Losers iShares MSCI Italy Index Fund (EWI) -3.5% European nations are facing headwinds at the start of this new week. Leading the retreat is Italy. Other countries seeing notable losses include Sweden and Poland. These two nations can be tracked using the iShares MSCI Sweden Index Fund (EWD) and Market Vectors Poland ETF (PLND) respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV