In a report issued Monday, Avondale Partners analyst Bob McAdoo repeated a market outperform rating and raised his price target to $23 from the prior $18. At mid-morning Monday, shares were trading down 34 cents at $13.89.
McAdoo wrote that Spirit can deliver revenue and income growth above 20% for several years because it has sufficient funding to expand and so long as other carriers are not chasing its "price-sensitive, leisure customers
Under current conditions, Spirit's "business model may be insulated as the carrier continues to enter new markets," McAdoo wrote. "Although we've seen numerous airline failures over the years, early post-IPO share performance of Allegiant (ALGT), JetBlue (JBLU), GOL (Brazil), Ryanair, and People Express rewarded early investors," McAdoo wrote. " We believe Spirit's share performance may be quite similar."Spirit's biggest advantages are strong performance -- since 2007 margins have exceeded industry average -- and low costs: Fourth-quarter 2010 cost per available seat mile, including fuel, was 9.35 cents, compared with 9.8 cents at Allegiant and legacy carrier costs ranging from 13.5 cents at Delta (DAL), to 15.8 cents at US Airways (LCC). He said Spirit is "a plain vanilla growth story" with plenty of markets for expansion. Most other airlines probably won't target Spirit given its unique fee and fare structure and its lack of frequencies, a sure sign it is not chasing business fliers. "Traditional carriers may well view the Spirit customers as not worth pursuing," he wrote.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV