NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Retail stocks have held up relatively well in recent weeks compared with the overall market.
Even the broad market has been volatile because of Eurozone debt worries, the debt ceiling uncertainty, and disappointing jobs data, an all-star group of retailers have managed to keep climbing.
"The DNA that links these companies is margin expansion in prior quarters and likely in future quarters, either resulting from a turnaround after years of sagging performance or best-of-breed industry status in a consumer sector chock full of volatile fundamental," says Wall Street Strategies analyst Brian Sozzi.
While Sozzi doesn't expecting any of these names to report disappointing earnings, even a solid quarter may spark some selling."These stocks are priced to perfection, and even if second-quarter earnings beat and full-year guidance is reaffirmed or raised slightly, the market's reaction may be negative," Sozzi noted. "Investors would be profit taking, deciding to park the gains in cash or other names that have the potential to be future all-stars." Tracking these retail elite ahead of earnings season is a good guide to find potential shorts and select longs, Sozzi says. Read on for a look at Sozzi's list of retail all-stars.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV