NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Standard & Poor's let the next shoe drop on the way to a U.S. default.
The rating agency on Friday placed all five AAA-rated U.S. insurers on review for possible downgrades, along with three clearing houses, "select" members of the twelve Federal Home Loan Banks, and government-sponsored mortgage giants Fannie Mae (FNMA) and Freddie Mac (FMCC).
The insurers placed on "Credit Watch Negative" Friday include:
- Knights of Columbus, New York Life Insurance Co.
- Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co.
- Teachers Insurance & Annuity Assoc. of America (TIAA)
- United Services Automobile Assoc. (USAA)
- Goldman Sachs Mitsui Marine Derivative Products LP, which is a unit of Goldman Sachs (GS).
S&P said that all of the AAA-rated companies placed on "Credit Watch Negatative," except for the Goldman subsidiary, had "significant holdings of U.S. Treasury and agency securities." The agency added, however, that "in the unexpected event of a U.S. default, we would expect these insurers' losses, if any, to be modest and manageable relative to capital."Following its announcement Thursday that it had placed its "AAA/A-1" short-term sovereign credit rating for the United States on "Credit Watch Negative" for a possible downgrade, in light of the continuing debt-ceiling farce taking place in the nation's capital, Stand & Poor's on Friday said it had The agency said it viewed "the long-term ratings on the U.S. insurers to be constrained by the U.S. sovereign credit rating because their businesses and assets are highly concentrated in the U.S.," while adding that the "short-term ratings on the insurance companies remain unchanged."
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn. To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV