Obama Ready to Break Debt-Ceiling 'Logjam'
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- President Barack Obama said on Friday that Congress had drawn closer to an agreement to raise the debt ceiling before the Aug. 2 deadline.
Obama stressed that it was crucial to include a stipulation in the plan to raise revenue, language that Republicans have interpreted as a tax hike.
"You'll probably see the House vote on a couple of things just to make political statements, but if you're trying to get to $2.4 trillion without any revenue, then you're effectively cutting
Obama said that politicians had the opportunity to stabilize the financial credibility of the United States for the next 10 to 20 years.House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) addressed the media before Obama's speech and stressed that the plan could not include tax hikes. "There can be no tax hikes because tax hikes destroy jobs; we need real spending cuts and real spending cuts that will exceed the amount of increase in the debt limit," Boehner said. "We asked
>To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV